Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· ELA.5.V.1.1 – recognize/use academic vocabulary in speaking and writing
· ELA.5.V.1.3 – apply knowledge of Greek and Latin Roots and affixes, recognizing the connection between affixes and parts of speech, to determine meaning.
· ELA.5.R.1.1 – Analyze how setting, events, conflict, and characterization contribute to the plot in a literary text.
· ELA.5.R.1.4 – Explain how figurative language and other poetic elements work together in a poem.
· ELA.5.R.3.1 – Analyze how figurative language contributes to the meaning in text(s).
· ELA.5.F.1.3 – apply knowledge of letter-sound correspondences, syllabication patterns, and morphology to read/write unfamiliar single-syllable and multisyllabic words
· ELA.5.F.1.4 – read with accuracy, automaticity, and prosody or expression
· ELA.5.C.1.1 – demonstrate fluent and legible cursive writing skills
· ELA.5.C.1.2 – Write personal or fictional narratives using a logical sequence of events and demonstrating an effective use of techniques such as dialogue, description, and transitional words and phrases.
· ELA.5.C.1.5 – improve writing by planning, revising, and editing
· ELA.5.C.2.1 – Present information orally, in a logical sequence, using nonverbal cues, appropriate volume, clear pronunciation, and appropriate pacing.
· ELA.5.C.3.1 – Follow the rules of standard English grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling appropriate to grade level.
· ELA.5.C.4.1 – conduct research to answer a question, organize information about a topic and using multiple reliable and valid sources.